Saturday, October 16, 2010

Well, Kiss My Grits. Y'all.

Last week, I spent some time down in Georgia with my family. When it came time for meals, everyone decided it was about time the "yanks" had some good ol' southern home cookin, so we feasted on some traditional favorites. I'm lucky enough that my new sister-in-law is a southern chef, and I was assured that we were getting the full treatment. We had some grits, chicken fried steak, and biscuits and gravy, to name a few.














Now aside from the grits, I've had all of these things before, but not like this. You see, southern cooking isn't like the kind of cooking I grew up on. It's basically the same stuff, but it's made so differently, that it's hardly recognizable, and I couldn't help but think of the changes lesson that I'm about to teach to the 3rd grade students next week. If they can make steak look like fried chicken, morph grits into a tasty treat (but really, what isn't good when it's cooked with a pound of butter?) and call biscuits soaked in gravy "breakfast", they sure have discovered how to change things, and I discovered how truly good change can be.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you had fun!! Nice connection to your science curriculum!!

    I haven't had grits in a long time... last I remember they were covered in butter too! I love the clip you included!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny Deb that when I started reading your blog entry on grits, the first thing I thought of was good ole' Flo and Mel. It made me really laugh when I clicked on grits and it took me to that link on utube. How funny! I do think however that we are dating ourselves by acknowledging we even know Flo because I don't think many of our peers will even understand that clip....
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy grits... with lots of butter and maple syrup! thats the way I like them!!

    ReplyDelete